Algerian Energy Company
“Algerian Energy Company spa”, abbreviated as “AEC” is a public company, a joint stock company created in 2001 and 100% owned by Sonatrach since 2018.
Statutory, its missions consist of the promotion of large-scale projects, alone or in partnership with National or foreign Firms exercising in particular, in:
- The generation of Electric Energy,
- Seawater desalination.
It is clear that the activity by which AEC is best known is, without doubt, Seawater Desalination.
Indeed, Sea Water Desalination (SWD) was a response given by the Public Authorities to counter the water stress raging, particularly in western Algeria.
The Government had decided to launch a major Seawater Desalination program, made up of 11 plants spread over the entire coastline, in which AEC has stakes ranging from 30 to 49%, in association with foreign partners.
Its overall production capacity is 2.1 million m³ / day, which represents a contribution of 17% of the drinking water distributed.
With the launch of the three new Sea Desalination Projects (El-Tarf, West-Algiers and Skikda), capacity will increase to 2.7 million m³ / day.
By examining the company’s environment – opportunities and threats – and its strengths and potentials to be consolidated, on the one hand, and its weaknesses and dysfunctions to be corrected, on the other hand, it was clear a vision and ambitions and draw the outlines of the strategy to be adopted, which are contained in the Strategic Plan for 2026.
- 11 plants in operation
- Installed capacity of 2.1 M m³/d
- Cumulative annual production 750 M m³
- Average daily production 1.7 M m³
- 17% national AEP participation
- It will increase to 23% after extension of the network
- 1 in 4 citizens will be supplied by the SWD.
- 03 Power stations
- Installed capacity of 2,374 MW
- Cumulative annual production 16,165 GWh
- Average daily production 44 GWh
- Participation in national production 14%